May 19th Update: Please click here to read NBCSA’s COVID-19 Start-up Plan
WHAT IS CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses transmitted between humans and animals. COVID-19 can cause illness ranging from a very mild, cold-like illness to a severe lung infection. Symptoms can include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, muscle ache, headache, and difficulty breathing (shortness of breath). The World Health Organization advises that symptoms may appear in as few as two days or as long as 14 days after being exposed.
HOW IS COVID-19 TRANSMITTED?
If a person carrying the virus sneezes, coughs, or exhales, respiratory droplets are released into the atmosphere and they may quickly land on nearby surfaces and/or another person. A worker may then touch contaminated surfaces or objects and then rub their eyes, nose, or mouth before washing.
The virus can be transmitted by:
- Breathing in droplets in the air that are generated when people cough or sneeze.
- Close contact with other people (e.g. shaking hands or hugging).
- Touching contaminated surfaces and then touching the face, mouth, or food.
- Touching a contaminated surface and then touch another surface may cause the virus to transfer from one surface to another.
Currently, according to health experts, the virus is not known to be airborne (e.g. transmitted through the particles floating in the air) and it is not something that comes in through the skin. People who have been infected with COVID-19 may not exhibit any symptoms for up to 14 days but can still transmit the virus during that time.
Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
The following link is NBCSA’s Start up plan.
Listed below are resources that have been developed by the NBCSA, other members of the Canadian Federation of Construction Safety Associations (CFCSA), and NBCSA member Simpson Building Contractors to assist our membership in managing health and safety at their workplaces. The employer is ultimately responsible to ensure that any plans or procedures utilized, or developed, are reviewed and updated as new information becomes available. The information below has been developed based on the information available at the time and will be regularly reviewed and updated.
- BCCSA – Safety Notice for Workers
- BCCSA – Health Questionnaire COVID-19
- BCCSA – Exposure Control Plan for COVID-19
- BCCSA – Employer Protocol for Pandemic
- BCCSA – COVID-19
- Construction Site COVID-19 Prevention Procedures
- COVID-19 Enhanced Cleaning
- CSAM – COVID-19 Prevention Best Practices for Construction Sites
- IHSA – Guidance on Handling Receiving of Packages
- IHSA – Guidance on Fuelling of Vehicles
- IHSA – Guidance on Shippers and Receivers
- IHSA – Guidance on Mental Health Awareness for Transport Drivers
- IHSA – Guidance on Construction Facility Hygiene
- NLCSA – Guidance to Employers Performing Work in Private Residences Amid COVID-19
- Simpson Building Contractors – COVID-19 CODE OF PRACTICE
- Site Posters COVID-19
- Social Distancing
Below are links to resources from WorkSafeNB: